The food industry can definitely be cut-throat. Businesses come and go with a whisper, their time and meals short and fleeting. According to entrepreneur research, 90% of restaurants go out of business before reaching their five year anniversary. Why? There are probably several factors involved, but one of the biggest reasons is money. Love it or hate it, money makes the world go round. And when you own a restaurant, you need lots of it. This is where used restaurant equipment comes into play. Selling and purchasing used restaurant equipment is one of the best ways to help recoup some of your losses. By cleaning up and determining a good price to sell your items, or by purchasing used equipment for a significant price reduction, you can easily put some money back into your business.
Here at Gator Chef we specialize in both new and used restaurant equipment. Because of this, we know a thing or two. So let us help you through this process!
Tips For Selling
There are two ways to go about selling your equipment. The first is to sell it by yourself and target your market. For example, a Mexican restaurant might not need your deep fryer, but they might need extra ovens or refrigerator racks. Some smaller equipment might appeal to any restaurant. In this case, you might need to do your own advertising or put your items on Craigslist. The second way to sell your equipment is to sell it to a dealer, like Gator Chef. We are capable of buying and selling both large and small items.
These three easy tips can make your life a lot easier when selling your used restaurant equipment:
1. Clean your equipment. You want to be sure your equipment is in the best selling condition possible. Who wants to buy a range that’s covered with grime and food residue? Wash and clean your equipment so it looks brand-spankin’ new when you try and sell it.
2. Locate equipment manuals and warranties. Selling your equipment with everything it originally came with will only increase its value. Get your items as close to original condition as possible. Keep in mind that some warranties may be transferrable to a new owner.
3. Determine the fair market price for your equipment. Take into consideration the age and wear of the equipment. According to the Small Business Association, (SBA) liquidated merchandise is normally priced at 20 percent of the retail value. Consult with an equipment appraiser for suggested pricing before you consider any offers. The SBA also warns that some restaurant equipment loses value if moved to another location, so keep your equipment on the premises for as long as possible.
Tips For Purchasing
Purchasing used restaurant equipment can also help save you big bucks. New equipment can be very, very expensive, and when it comes to major items like cooking and kitchen equipment, you can’t short change your restaurant. You can’t bake a cake without an oven, right? Purchasing used restaurant equipment can also be a great way to save while still pushing your business ahead.
1. Sign up to dealer's email list. By doing this you will get access to used restaurant equipment updates and get the latest inventory for sale, and even some discounts. Click to sign up to Gator Chef's used equipment list
2. Carefully check equipment conditions before purchasing. Before paying for something, you want to make sure it works, right? Be sure everything is there, looks correct, and that the equipment is in overall good condition for the price you’re going to pay. In addition, be sure the used equipment has an appropriate warranty (usually between 60-90 days).
3. Find a local dealer. This is important so that you can go check the equipment by yourself and don't need to pay for the shipping.
Still interested in selling or purchasing used equipment? We do both of these at Gator Chef! We offer two showrooms featuring both new and used restaurant equipment and have a certified technician inspect all equipment before we sell it to you. Call 888-944-2867 and tell us how we can help.
Gator Chef Used Restaurant Equipment
If you’re looking to purchase top-quality used restaurant equipment at a great price, look no further! A leader in the restaurant supply industry, Gator Chef sells both new and used restaurant equipment. Whether you run a five-star restaurant, hot dog stand, catering business, or bar — Gator Chef has the equipment and smallwares you need to outfit your entire business!
At Gator Chef, we pride ourselves on standing out from our competition. Here are just a few of the reasons why we’re different:
- Great prices. At Gator Chef we pride ourselves on offering top-quality items at the best prices around. In such a tough business every dollar counts, which is why we always aim to give you the most competitive price possible. Check out our used equipment inventory.
- Two showrooms. We feature both new and used equipment showrooms. In addition to new restaurant and cooking equipment such as large items or smallwares, Gator Chef also features a variety of used restaurant equipment for sale. Our two showrooms are open to the public and feature everything you could need to outfit your kitchen or restaurant. Click to check out Gator Chef showroom.
- Great customer service. If you’re not happy, we’re not happy. At Gator Chef we want to make sure your needs are always satisfied. We boast over a century of combined food service industry expertise and offer the best prices on the market. Whether you have a question, need to return something, or want a quote on a piece of equipment, our customer service team is here to help.
- Easy shop online. Nowadays almost everything is done on the internet. With Gator Chef you can buy the used restaurant equipment you need right from your own computer and mobile devices. In addition, we make sure your items ship out as quickly as possible so you can get right to work.
- Licensed Technicians. Gator Chef's restaurant equipment division and licensed technicians professionally test, clean and restore all used restaurant equipment to meet or exceed all manufacturers’ specifications. At Gator Chef we understand that everyone works on a budget. Because of this, we buy, sell and trade used equipment. All our used equipment is checked out by a certified technician so you can be sure you’re getting the best stuff around town.
Come visit us!
Located just west of Chicago near O’Hare Airport, Gator Chef has two showrooms open to the public so you can find what you need right away. No matter what you need, big or small, Gator Chef has the equipment you need from trusted manufacturers.
Address: 100 Frontier Way, Bensenville, IL 60106
Showroom Open: Monday - Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM; Saturday 8:00AM to 12:00PM
Call us at: 888-944-2867